BA (Hons) English and TESOL
The BA (Hons.) English and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) degree, awarded by the Coventry University is a modern, forward-looking course aimed at equipping students not just with ‘traditional’ English language, English Literature and linguistics subject knowledge and teaching skills, but also with the required awareness and digital literacies that will enable them to take advantages of the 21st century tools that enrich teaching and learning.
The course gives students, opportunities to develop skills through authentic teaching practice and to become articulate, knowledgeable, self-aware and creative graduates who can reach the zenith in the field of Education and related areas. Through this course, students will also study teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP), for example English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and Business English, Teaching Methodologies, Language Acquisition, teaching English to younger learners (primary and secondary school ages) and teaching English through Literature.
Employability is embedded throughout the course.
Upon completion of this degree, you will receive a qualification awarded by the Coventry University.
CampusColombo / Kirulapone / KIC /
For entry into Year 1:
- Diploma in English
- Selection from a placement test followed by an interview.
- Diploma in English for Professionals
- 3 passes for A/L + 3 years of working experience
Admission through interviews:
- Applicants with professional experiences, are welcome to apply
- All non-standard or marginal applications for admission are considered upon the approval of the relevant academic body
For direct entry into Year 2: BA (Hons.) English and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Completion of the Diploma in English (full time) Programme or Diploma in English for Professionals (part-time) programme at NIBM.
- The English Language requirement is IELTS grade 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each component and competence to study using the English language / Credit pass in English at the G.C.E O/L exam and a Pass in General English at the G.C.E A/L exam or equivalent.
- Admission through interviews:
* Applicants with professional experience, are welcome to apply.
* All non-standard or marginal applications for admission are considered upon the approval of the relevant academic body.
- NIC (Kirulapone) – 15th October 2023
- KIC (Peradeniya) – Pending
Course structure and modules
Year 01 : Diploma in English
- Effective speaking skills
- Presentation skills
- Speaking skills required for a business environment & professions
- Basic Grammar
- Advanced Grammar
- Grammar for professionals writing & speaking
- Business writing; Letters / Memos / Fax etc
- Reading skills for vocabulary & language development
- IELTS & TOEFL Preparatory modules
Year 01 : Diploma in English for Professionals
- Speaking skills for day-to-day communication
- Speaking skills required for a business environment and professions
- Presentation skills
- Introduction to English Grammar
- Advanced Grammar for effective speaking & writing
- Grammar for professional writing and speaking
- Business writing
- Professional writing
- Academic writing skills
- Reading skill for language & vocabulary development
- Academic reading skills
- Listening to language and vocabulary development
- TOEFL & IELTS listening skills
Year 02 : BA (Hons.) English and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (awarded by the Coventry University)
- Principles and Practice of TESOL 1
- Principles and Practice of TESOL 2
- Practical English
- Nature of the English Language
- Language Acquisition
- Teaching English through Literature
Year 03 : BA (Hons.) English and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (awarded by the Coventry University)
- Teaching Young Learners (TYL)
- English & Globalisation
- English for Business
- Language and the Mind
- Final Year Project / Dissertation
We regularly review our course content, to make it relevant and current for the benefit of our students. For these reasons, course modules may be updated, please contact us for the latest information.
- Year 1 – Course Fee: LKR 120,000 + Registration Fee: LKR 2,000
- Year 2 – Course Fee: LKR 580,000 + Registration Fee: LKR 3,000
- Year 3 – Course Fee: LKR 600, 000
Student loan facilities are available from BOC, NSB & NDB banks. Send us an inquiry to ask about payment plans and loan facilities.