Advanced Diploma Programmes
Advanced Diploma in Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages
Advanced Diploma in TESOL is a programme for after A/L students (General English “B” pass or above) or for those who have successfully completed the Advanced Certificate in English or TESOL at NIBM or any other English language programme of SLQF Level 2/ NVQ Level 4. The programme will impart knowledge in English language, grammar, syntax, vocabulary and teaching methodology.
English is widely used for cross cultural communication both in writing and in speech. Thus the language, as a dynamic entity, acquires new words and linguistic structures in its day to day use amongst communities of different cultural origins and backgrounds. Further, as the language of the business world, English keeps on changing rapidly to keep up with technology and new, improved channels of communication. In such a context, the ability to effectively communicate in English while adapting to norms of the business world has come to be of utmost importance. Moreover, teachers of English are now required to produce students who are not only sound in syntax and lexis of English, but who are also aware of the evolving nature of the language and have an appreciation for an entire culture behind the language.
The programme Advanced Diploma in TESOL will improve not only the English skills of the students, but also will give them a sound knowledge regarding Teaching Methodology, while preparing them to be better professionals in the field of Education. Moreover, the course will develop students’ analytical skills by motivating students to contemplate on, analyze and find answers to issues related to English language. Thus, the student will have gained both theoretical and practical knowledge to be competent English teachers by completing this course.
CampusColombo / Kandy /
- Advanced Diploma in TESOL is a programme for after A/L students (General English “B” pass or above)
- For those who have successfully completed the Advanced Certificate in English
- TESOL at NIBM or any other English language programme of SLQF Level 2/ NVQ Level 4
- Colombo Campus- 31st May 2021
- Galle Campus – 9th October 2021
Course structure and modules
- 1001 : Introduction to Applied Linguistics (Credit 4)
- 1002 : History of Applied Linguistics (Credit 4)
- 1003 : History of English Language (Credit 4)
- 1004 : English as a Lingua Franca / Learning (Credit 4)
- 1005 : Theories of Second & Foreign Language Teaching (Credit 4)
- 2001 : Syntax (Credit 4)
- 2002 : Morphology (Credit 4)
- 2003 : Introduction to Semantics (Credit 4)
- 2004 : Introduction to Phonology and its Practical Applications (Credit 4)
- 2005 : Psycholinguistics (Credit 4)
- 3001 : Curriculum development, Lesson Planning & Evaluation (Credit 4)
- 3002 : English for Specific Purposes (Credit 4)
- 3003 : Classroom Management (Credit 4)
- 3004 : Coaching (Credit 4)
- 3005 : Practicum (Credit 4)
- Total credits (Credit 60)
This is a one year course and lectures will be held 3 days per week for 8 months and intensive teaching practice has to be completed for 1 month and 3 months for the research work.
- Course Fee: LKR 130,000 + Registration Fee: LKR 2,000